I am thankful for growth, that we are constantly being built up in You, more firmly established day by day.
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.Colossians 2:6-7
Me: Good evening, Jesus!
Jesus: Good evening, Jon!
Me: There is a “therefore” in Colossians 2:6. What is that there for?
Jesus: That verse stands upon the whole chapter. Paul was exhorting the Colossians to look to Me for guidance and to be able to put aside those who were bent on introducing misleading doctrines (heresies).
Me: I see some specific examples enumerated in the chapter.
Jesus: What do you see? It will be beneficial to list them.
Me: O.K. –
- Comfort, overcoming disquiet
- Unifying love
- Faith/assurance in understanding (not tentative)
- Acknowledgment of the mystery of the Goddhead
- Treasure trove of wisdom and knowledge in God
- All the above as a guard against being misled or enticed into believing attractive error
- Order (I Am is a God of order, not chaos. )
- Faith (in Christ)
- Wariness against deceit, philosophy, traditions of men and the world
- Recognition that Jesus is the exact (complete) representation of the Godhead
- Recognition that we are complete in Him
- Recognition that Jesus is Supreme over all powers and principalities
- Recognition that we are given power to overcome sin in Christ
- We are identified with Jesus in His death (to sin) and resurrection (to eternal life)
- In Jesus, the law and its condemnation was fulfilled and no longer contrary to us
- In Jesus, we have triumph over those (evil) powers and principalities
- We are not to submit to legalism, but see our whole existence in Christ
- Jesus nourishes and holds His body together and enables it to increase (if we are bonded to Him)
- Those identified in the death of Christ are not subject to the ordinances of the world as a way to serve God
- There ought not to be any pride in obeying the ordinances of the world
Jesus: What do you think now?
Me: There is an absolutely astonishing array of guidance, protection, wisdom, and promise to be thankful for in that chapter!
Jesus: Was it helpful to write down the points made?
Me: Yes, it was! Thank you! I love You!
Jesus: You are welcome! I love you!